Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Remembering Mummy

It was really funny how it all started. She was my junior, my enemy and at the same time my most qualified adversary in school. Then high school ended. We started to become closer, past the enemy-adversary stage and became close friends. Met her mother and it all begun. I can remember the first time I met her mother, at a water filter shop that I was working at that time. Normal customer-shop keeper relation.

Time passed and a birthday party celebrating her in The Red Box, Low Yat Plaza. Conversations, laugh and stories made us closer, closer to her heart closer to her family. I still remember when we were in the elevator at the end of this celebration, this woman whom I now called “mummy” told us something like this: “Saiful, friends come and go but good friends are hard to find”. Yes it is true. Period. This is not a post about my dearest best friend Krystyn but for her mother whom I called mummy, my god mother.

I would write a book if I could and I would write a journal to eternalise her legacy. Humbly, my English is not that good and my vocabulary are limited; my England as mummy would say is a far cry from perfection. However, this will not stop me. England or any other language is not a language of love but merely a transaction medium of feelings.

“I am not here to replace your mother but I am here to compliment her” that is what mummy is and that is what mummy did. She complimented the role of my own mother. Caring, loving me unconditionally, advised, scolded me, feed me, educated me and most of all took me in as a family.

Sigh… too many things to say, too many feelings to express if only words could permits and language could translate. Unfortunately it can’t. That warm feelings, that glow in my heart that love that I feel is not something that can be translated. This transaction medium failed me, but does this means my love for mummy failed me? No. it just meant that something big, sacred, pure and unconditional sometimes are best to be unexpressed. After all, Jeannie Cheah Koo Yook Foong(mummy) already knew.


click picture for direct link to http://www.cheahs.com/


4 comments:

KS Cheah said...

Dear Saiful,
Nothing wrong with your England there. You captured in words your relationship with Mummy so well. And as you said, some things are best kept in the heart and left unsaid because no right words can ever be found.

Papa

Kaye Ridzuan said...

thanks for the comment papa.

KS Cheah said...

Hi Saiful, I have put a link to this post in the www.cheahs.com site.

Saiful, you are family yet let me take this opportunity to record my appreciation for all that you did for Mummy and us during Mummy's wake and funeral.

Mummy was and would have been proud of you.

Papa

Kaye Ridzuan said...

Hello papa.I am proud to be apart of the Cheah's extended family and it is I who are suppose to say thank you for everything the Cheahs had done for me, the love, the care and the family tied. What i did for mummy is nothing compared with everything all of you had given and done for me. Love you all always.