Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Memories

Sometimes when you can’t find where your car is parked or where your car keys are you tend to freak out. Yeah, I did. It started out with minor things that most people would call careless, over the times I tend to forget dates, names of people or things and sometimes where I am or what I am currently doing. Yes I admit it I am suffering memory lapse and a sometimes memory loss. I had been having this for a very long time. Without my organizer and phone I think I would be gone by now.

It doesn’t stop there, sentences are harder for me to construct on a regular basis. Pronunciation is getting more difficult and spelling is a nightmare. I am scared, I am upset and I know I’m in denial but I am determined to convey this message to many who read my blog. I want them to understand why I always seemed to be blur and distant at times. Most of all I want them to be aware that this could be happening to them as well.

I did some research to understand my condition and according to the FDA ( www.fda.gov )there are many causes for this “thing” I am suffering from. Of cause I am not qualified to do my own dignosis but I figured why not share these knowledge I got from the research. There are many causes for memory lapse and loss but the most interesting and common ones are as below. ( the below text are strictly copied from www.fda.gov to avoid any misunderstanding of the true meaning of the discussed issue)

1. Medications. Examples of medications that can interfere with memory include over-the-counter and prescription sleeping pills, over-the-counter antihistamines, anti-anxiety medications, antidepressants, some medications used to treat schizophrenia, and pain medicines used after surgery.

2. Alcohol and illicit drug use. Heavy alcohol use can cause deficiencies in vitamin B1 (thiamine), which can harm memory. Both alcohol and illicit drugs can change chemicals in the brain that affect memory.

3. Stress. Stress, particularly due to emotional trauma, can cause memory loss. In rare, extreme cases, a condition called psychogenic amnesia can result. "This can cause someone to wander around lost, unable to remember their name or date of birth or other basic information," Mani says. "It usually resolves on its own."

4. Depression. Depression, which is common with aging, causes a lack of attention and focus that can affect memory. "Usually treating the depression will improve mood and the memory problems may then also improve," Mani says.

Yes, I am suffering from depression and stress; I take antihistamines for my allergies and pain killers for my migraine how ever I don’t do drugs or alcohol. These causes of memory lapse or loss are causes that we can avoid easily by living a happy healthy life, so I hope you readers would try to as I will as well. Good luck.

No comments: